Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Did It Take 89 Wins for Women's Sports To Be Appreciated?

I just had this on my mind and wanted to share it. I am sure many people may disagree or don't care at all, but this is how I see it. I will keep it short and sweet.

Women rock! Yes they do! History can't get any better than this. Uconn Women's Basketball is just one product of a group of tremendous female athletes. Not everyone can be as great as Uconn, but there are a lot of other female teams to be reckoned with.

Being a female athlete myself I cringe every time a sexist comment is made against women playing sports. "You play against less competition", "women's basketball is not even a real sport", and worst of all "why don't you just quit and be a cheerleader". I hear these sayings all the time. It makes me very upset that men are put on this high pedestal, while the women have to work five times as hard to get the kind of recognition they deserve. Why can't it be an equal playing field? I mean look at how much press Uconn is getting right now. Who really thought that they could really go that far? They beat a Men's Ncaa Division 1 record. I know a lot of people are saying it is not same, and you can't compare men vs. women, but I think you can. Uconn and Ucla both play the same sport with a ball and a hoop. They both have 5 players on the court, who can run, jump, dribble, and shoot. So you tell me where the difference is.

To all the supporters of women's athletics thank you! To all the naysayers keep on hatin' while we continue to break records!
www.nhregister.com

2 comments:

  1. Well, if there isnt really any difference between the two, lets put the girls on the same court as the men and see how long their win streak lasts. Its the same sport with a ball and a hoop, both have 5 players who can run, jump, dribble, and shoot...you're right! there is no difference! so now i think we should combine the womens and mens league and see if they break any more records.. go girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Well said. I am glad there are girls like you out there who are talking about this issue so articulately. You make me feel proud to be a member of the Hamden Hall community, and optimistic for the future of girls in sports...and in general!

    ReplyDelete